Saturday, July 23, 2011

Recipe: Chicken and Hummus

Ok, so I think some people may read the title of this and say Chicken and Hummus, together, in the same bite? You are freaking crazy lady! But I kid you not, it is delicious. A couple of weeks ago Nick and I went over to some friend's house for dinner. One of the items on the menu was chicken kabobs off the grill and then they put hummus out. I have no idea if that's what they intended it for, but I saw two Mediterranean items and assumed they went together. Holy moly it was good. And I don't even like chicken. So this week, while Nick was away, I decided I would do some experiments in the kitchen one of which was to try to recreate this taste without the grill. I know I can cook, but I have to say, sometimes I even impress myself. I just might get the fixins to make this for dinner on Sunday so Nick's first night back is a nice one. Here's what I came up with:

You need:
-1 large onion
-2 chicken breasts
-regular hummus (or garlic)
-1-2 tablespoons of butter (depends on the size of the onion)
-olive oil
-soy sauce
-A good quality smokey finishing sauce (like this one)

1. Mix equal parts of soy sauce and finishing sauce into a bowl. When picking a sauce, I suggest smelling it first just to make sure the soy sauce will taste good when blended together.
2. Pound down chicken breasts with a tenderizer until thinned out. Cut into cutlet sized pieces. Dredge and let sit in the sauce until you are ready to cook.
3. Heat up a large skillet with butter. While waiting for it to heat up, slice up onion thinly. Then add onion and cook for a few minutes.
4. Next add some olive oil. Give a good turn and let it cook for another minute, then add chicken and the leftover sauce mixture.
5. Cook the chicken for a few minutes on each side (do not get it brown yet). Then remove chicken onto a plate and let the onions continue to cook until brown and tender and the liquid has just about completely evaporated.
6. Push the onions and left over liquid off to one side of the skillet and add the chicken in batches. Now cook the chicken until browned on each side. Dump whatever juices was leftover onto the plate onto the onions to keep them from drying out.
7. When done, serve chicken with onions on the side and spread a generous helping of hummus on top of the chicken.

If you are die hard about having a balanced meal, this would be really great with some small roasted potatoes or pitas or naan to get up those extra juices and hummus with. I'm really into Trader Joe's whole wheat naan at the moment.

1 comment:

kmmms said...

I'm going to have to try this, I adore hummus!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...