Wednesday, March 28, 2012

My Top 20 Favorite Songs (Right Now)

This ended up being a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. On my second blog, the one that I had from high school through college and was insanely emo on, I used to do this type of entry all the time. Although, in all honesty, the same songs would always make the cut and really only change by a track or two. This time around I tried to dig a little bit deeper and think about songs that 1. I love so much it hurts to listen to and 2. really get me pumped up and going (I usually think "HOLY CRAP LIFE IS AWESOME WITH MUSIC LIKE THIS IN THE WORLD" when listening to them, no matter how slow or sad they might be). This task ended up being ridiculously hard. Hopefully it's a more accurate reflection, though of the music I love...even if I know the moment I publish this the first thought in my head will be, "damnit! I can't believe I forgot to put that song on there!"

1. Strawberry Fields Forever by The Beatles - When this comes on in my car people are not allowed to speak. I'm so not kidding about that.
2. Black Mirror by Arcade Fire - So hard to choose an Arcade Fire song to go on this list, this won just happened to win out by being awesome.
3. Blue Ridge Mountains by Fleet Foxes - I love when this song picks up in the middle during the chorus, and as always their harmonies are amazing.
4. Firebird Suite by Igor Stravinsky - Favorite classical piece possibly ever, and a family favorite.
5. Gloria by U2 - I LOVE early U2. A dream concert for me would be going back to the early 80s and seeing them before Joshua tree. If only time travel was real.
6. Potato Girl by Our Lady Peace - In high school OLP was my favorite band. Their first 4 records are 90s alt rock gold and this song in particular is magic.
7. Bernadette by Four Tops - This will forever remind me of my dad, dancing with him, and jamming out to the bassline. For a long time I didn't even know the words to this song (which is really rare for me. I know the words to soooo many things) because it was too good.
8. In My Bed by Amy Winehouse - I am a huge Amy Winehouse fan, and I may be one of the only people in the entire world to consistently focus on her music rather than drug use. I love her retro sound mixed with modern day R&B. This is the perfect example of that.
9. Sea and Sand by The Who - "Come sleep on the beach. Keep within my reach. I just want to die with you near. I'm feeling so high with you here. I'm wet and I'm cold, But thank God I ain't old." Enough said.
10. Empire State of Mind by Jay-Z feat. Alicia Keys - The quintessential NYer song. Did I mention I'm from New York?
11. Man Ray by Futureheads - Another really tough choice, but I'll go for one of their harder songs because I love the immense sound they create.
12. Time to Pretend by MGMT - Back when I went to school and then worked in NYC it was Spring time and this was a staple on every mix I ever made. Walking through the streets of NY, this is my theme song.
13. I Just Wasn't Made for These Times by The Beach Boys - Maybe, though, this is really my theme song since I know I was born in the wrong decade.
14. 2+2=5 (The Lukewarm.) by Radiohead - One of my favorite bands ever, this song probably sums up all the reasons why I love them.
15. Tom Cat Goodbye by Laura Nyro - THE singer/song writer as far as I'm concerned, and her talents are best on display here.
16. Skating by Vince Guaraldi - I know this is technically a "Christmas song," but it may be my favorite jazz song of all time.
17. America by Simon and Garfunkel - Did I mention I was born in the wrong decade?
18.That's What You Get by Paramore - Secretly, deep down, I'm still an emo kid at heart.
19. Push It by Garbage - Another one of my favorite bands of all time. This song and the album it is from solidified their place in my heart forever.
20. Rolling in the Deep by Adele - I know this is way overplayed, but before then (and after I get over hearing this every hour on the hour), this will still be an amazing song.

Follow Tea Time for Lulu

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...