Friday, December 10, 2010

Album Review: Fleet Foxes by Fleet Foxes

Some of you may know this, but for those who don't, I am a music nerd. My father is a musician and from an early age music was pushed on us. Popular artists from the 80s that met his approval like Tears for Fears and Michael Jackson, but then classics like The Beatles (which we're all major fanatics of), Buddy Holly, and The Who as well. For a long time I think that's all my dad and I talked about. Well, really he talked and I listened, soaking up all his knowledge.

That being said, now I like a lot of different kinds of music. I do like pop (Lady Gaga is probably my favorite pop artist right now), but I also listen to a lot of underground and indie music as well. Most of the music recommendations I'll make on here will probably be that kind because let's face it, everyone has heard of Jay-Z, but not many people know who Jenny and Johnny are. Those lesser known bands deserve some attention too.

Today's review is actually of an album that's a little bit old now. It's Fleet Foxes' self titled debut which came out in 2008.


(Reminds me of an old Genesis cover)

The album is part of the neo-folk revival that has been pretty popular in the indie scene the past few years, but this one stands out for me because of the lush harmonies the band members have. The musicianship is obviously there and the use of layers of instruments is the perfect balance to the vocals. Some of the songs could be great pop songs, and some are great folk ballads. Something for everyone!

The video for their debut single, "Winter White Hymnal," is clay-mation and almost reminds me of something Jim Henson would have done in the early-mid 80s and goes with their whole throw back feel.



Regardless of whether or not you're thrown off by the whole hipster vibe that the video gives off, you should still give it a try. The album would make a really great addition to your collection.

Standout tracks: Ragged Wood & Blue Ridge Mountains

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...