Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Resolution? How about 30!

I used to make New Year's Resolutions. Things that I honestly intended to keep, and in truth often worked at (even if I didn't always fulfill them). I've been trying to think about what to make my resolution this year, but so many things I could come up with are either the same old stuff or things I should be doing anyway (like trying to do well in school or be healthy). Then a fellow blogger posted about her 30 under 30 and I was intrigued having never heard of the idea before.

Long story short, a 30 under 30 list is sort of like a bucket list for young people. It's things you want to get done before you turn 30. For some people that's the mark of true adulthood. That's when you have to get serious, have a baby, be finished with higher education, and have a steady foot in the door of your career.

I'm not sure I fully agree with any of those ideas, it really depends on you as a person and what you want of your life. But I guess for me since I'll be done with school, I see that as reaching my true adulthood. I'll finally be able to say I achieved one of my main goals in life (which is my 9 year+ dream of getting my PhD in clinical psychology and becoming a psychologist). Right now I always say things like "when I grow up" or "when I get to start my real life" and that's generally what I mean; being out of school and not having to put things off because school will be in the way somehow.

So I worked long and hard at coming up with my 30 under 30 list. A list of practical and fun things, achievements, and milestones. Definitely too much for just one year, but hopefully I'll get it all done in the 4 1/2 years I have left!

1. Never stop playing soccer.
2. Get my PhD.
3. Have a baby, or at least try to have a baby.
4. Go to Hawaii.
5. Pay off credit card debt.
6. Go to France.
7. Find at least two life long friends in California.
8. Maintain my vegetable garden for at least one year.
9. Buy new dining room chairs.
10. Surprise myself with my grades.
11. Keep my current best friends.
12. Restore the ugly orange chair.
13. Do something I always say I'll never do ever.
14. Get an article published that is not my dissertation.
15. Drive the California coast.
16. Host a great weekend or Holiday here with my family.
17. Be a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding.
18. Organize my computer files (music, photos, and school stuff).
19. Take a vacation (even just an overnight trip) with just the girls.
20. Learn more about wine.
21. Figure out how to tell a chicken/roast beef/fish/etc. is done cooking just by looking at it.
22. See Radiohead live.
23. Learn how to fancy dance (ie. waltz, salsa, etc.) with my husband.
24. Start saving for a house.
25. Make an Italian meal for my husband's Italian family.
26. Work at least one job that is completely frivolous and fun (ie. not a resume booster).
27. Get into at least 5 new bands every year.
28. Read for pleasure more.
29. Finish my old diary.
30. Start a massive project, and actually finish it.

Wow that seems like a lot...I wonder if I have until I turn 30, or until the end of the 30th year?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your list. It's easy to suddenly just know a lot about who you are as a person from looking at your items. Every bit of it makes me smile. I love numbers 13, 19, and 21 specifically! :)

Lulu said...

Patty, thanks! That is so sweet of you to say! I got the idea for this from your entry a couple months ago.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...