Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Album Review: Release Me by the Like

I think it is no secret that I was born in the wrong decade. I love everything 60s, the music, the clothes, the art, you name it. I was really excited in college when fashion started taking it's influences from that time period and it made it easier to find clothes like that. I am no stranger to the thrift store (I'm surprised the ladies at Salvation Army Binghamton didn't know me by my first name), but sometimes it's just easier to get something in my size, that doesn't have to be washed 5 times before I wear it, at the mall.

This year I think my 60s obsession has reached new heights as I've been teaching myself to do the make up, got a new haircut, and have made an effort to dress that way a lot. My tailor told me I looked like Audrey Hepburn and I nearly died. But you want to know a secret? My all time favorite 60s trend were the mods...yeah, I want to go back in time to the early 60s, hop on my scooter, and go live in London.

And you know what hasn't helped this fantasy? The album Release Me by The Like.



Back in college I stumbled upon The Like when I was just clicking around on Amazon.com looking for some interesting music (when they say "You make like this..." sometimes I listen because you never know what gem you'll find). Their first album, Are you thinking what I'm thinking, was very late 90s SoCal influenced, but still good. So I bought it, loved it, and then they dropped off the face of the Earth. Years later, I was at a Futureheads concert and they just happened to open up for them. I was so excited and then this took the stage: and my jaw dropped. Gone were the long hair and hippie clothes, and I liked this much better.

As they proceeded to play and my smile got bigger and bigger I knew I had to go home right away and buy this new album, and when it arrived I listened to it constantly (and still haven't stopped). The songs are very obviously influenced by early-mid 60s rock and girl groups. But it is done in such a way that you know you are listening to a very modern take on them. Infectious pop about time old girl talk, crappy boys, back stabbing friends, and one night stands. It may be a "girl" band, but some guys I know love it too. Release Me is a great album to play if you need a pep while cleaning, cooking, or just want to have a good time with your friends. You can't help but be in a good mood after you listen to it, and maybe want to do the twist or something too.



Standout Tracks: Fair Game, Square One

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...