We'll be in New York for Christmas which means one of my dad's huge breakfasts (you know those are famous in my family). Knowing him he'll pull out all the stops. Bacon, waffles, eggs 2 different ways, muffins, chocolate chip pancakes. In short, whatever we want! Just in case you don't know what you're going to serve, here's a few yummy and super easy options!
Banana Orange Waffles
- Make waffle mix according to the directions on the box. Mash one large banana very well to the mixture (I think it works best to mash bananas that are already starting to get spotty). Lastly, add 1 1/2 tsp orange extract and cook.
Cheese and Bacon Drop Biscuits
1. Cook 2-3 strips of bacon on the stove (do not cook them all the way like you would when you eat them for breakfast). When cooled, chop into tiny pieces.
2. Add 1 cup of milk, bacon, and 2/3 cup of any cheese you like (I do cheddar or gruyere) to 2 cups of Bisquick. Mix well.
3. Scoop into somewhat ball looking shapes and put onto an ungreased, non-stick cookie sheet.
4. Bake for 8 minutes at 450 degrees.
Mushroom Hash with Hollandaise sauce
- Boil potatoes in salted water whole until soft when pricked with a fork. When done, mash coarsely in a pan. Add butter, salt, and chopped baby bella and oyster mushrooms. Cook on high until mushrooms are done.
- When those are done cooking, make the hollandaise sauce according to these directions:
You will need:
* 1 cup of butter
* 2 egg yolks
* 2 tbsp of cold water
* 1 tbsp of lemon juice
1. Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan over a low heat then remove from heat and add to a bowl.
2. Add some water into a saucepan and heat so that the water is gently simmering but not boiling.
3. In a glass bowl mix the egg yolks with the water until they get frothy (I like to use my hand mixer).
4. Place the bowl over the pan of simmering water and continue to whisk the egg yolks until they start to thicken.
5. Turn the heat off the burner (if your burner stays very hot when turned off, then remove the bowl from heat). Slowly, pour the melted butter into the eggs, while continuing to whisk.
6. Add lemon juice.
Once all the ingredients are all mixed together, you can top off your hash browns (or put in a gravy boat) and serve immediately.