Sometimes you need a quick recipe. Last minute dinner guest, you forgot to make something for that BBQ you're going to, or you promised you'd make something for the bake sale and just didn't get around to it. This berry tart that I made up when I was faced with one such situation should help you out in a pinch too!
-one bag of frozen mixed berries (I really hate Dole's. The strawberries are not ripe and are very tart. The ones from Whole Foods or Trader Joe's are better)
- a regular frozen pie crust
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- optional 2 tsp coconut extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a pie baking dish with your frozen pie crust (don't press it down the sides).
3. In a bowl mix together the other ingredients. You may need more or less flour or sugar depending on how it looks. The sugar makes the tart sweet and juice, but the flour thickens the juices up so they don't run around everywhere. I pretty much eyeball it every time and use my hands to measure out, so it's really whatever you prefer.
4. Dump the mixture into the pie crust and fold up the sides around it leaving an opening on the top.
5. Timing for how long it cooks will depend on how frozen the berries still are when you bake it. If they're still hard as a rock, it could take 40 minutes or more, if they're softer then it make take only 25-30 minutes.
6. Eat alone or top with whipped cream (if cool) or vanilla ice cream (if still warm).