Thursday, January 12, 2012

Album Review: Torches by Foster the People



I think by now just about everyone has heard "Pumped Up Kicks" on the radio and "Don't Stop" in that car commercial on TV. No matter what you can't get away from this band and "Pumped Up Kicks" is probably one of the most overplayed songs on the radio from the last 6 months. That being said, I almost didn't even bother giving this album a listen to because I am so sick of that song. But then a coworker at Anthropologie played a few songs off the album in the stock room one morning and I was hooked. The album was added to my "must buys" the next time I splurged on music. Come Cyber Monday Amazon took a lot of my money, this album obviously being one of my purchases.

Over the last few months I've been really into dancey pop-rock and rock with a soul/funk twist on it. Torches by Foster the People met those requirements. A little bit poppier than the electronic heavy Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix by Phoenix that was released a few years ago so more of the album is accessible, but otherwise the two bands sound extremely similar down to the high-pitched female-range male lead singers. At any rate this is definitely the album to get you in a good mood on a Saturday night or a sunny Spring morning and several of the songs would be great for a party or work out mix. Hipster, music nerd, wannabe, or not this a great happy album that just about anyone can appreciate.

Standout Tracks: I Would Do Anything for You & Houdini



Follow Tea Time for Lulu

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...