Sunday, January 1, 2012

Best things about 2011

Seems like everyone is doing one of those "best of" lists so I figured I'd throw one together too. This, though, is not a best of one kind of thing list but more of a best of my entire year list.

Helplessness Blues by Fleet Foxes - A mixture of Simon and Garfunkle, CSNY, and the Beach Boys, Fleet Foxes has become one of my favorite bands ever. I absolutely loved their first album and scooped up their second the moment it was released. As far as I'm concerned it's a neo-folk classic. The songs have amazing harmonies that all pull from influences of the 60s. A great chill-out album, if you're into music at all you will not be disappointed. I saw them live in the Spring and the music translated perfectly. These guys are extremely talented musicians and I can't wait to see what they do in the future.


Rolling in the Deep by Adele - I know every other person on Earth is talking about Adele right now. She has single handedly kept the music business alive this year and given people hope that there is real talent still out that to be appreciated by the masses. With a song like this one, though, how could you not love this girl? A powerful song about being scorned by an ex-lover, the driving beat and vocals are infectious. And she looks like something from another, more glamorous era! I love that she tries to look as fabulous as she sounds. I hope she wins every Grammy she's nominated for.


Midnight in Paris - Set in both modern day and 1920s Paris, this movie is part fantasy part coming of age film. The main character, a writer, has to chose between his current life and one which he has always dreamed of. A scenario sometimes we are confronted with, the character's choice is somewhat unexpected but still reflects who he is as a person and who he wants to be. Shot beautifully, this may be my favorite Woody Allen film (not that I've seen all of them, but I've definitely seen a ton). And Owen Wilson is the perfect replacement for Woody Allen starring in his own films. He plays the awkward, slightly neurotic character perfectly and he's much better looking too.

Once Upon a Time - If you are not watching this show yet, let me ask you a question. Is there something wrong with you? This show is amazing. While I do admit that it inherently appeals to girls more because of the fairy tale theme, it truly has something for everyone. Action, swords, spells, romance, drama, mystery, awesome costumes, death, you name it. Brought to you by some of the people who were behind LOST, this is LOST-light. Told with a series of present-day and flashback scenes, you only get part of the story and are constantly left wanting more without the confusing randomness of polar-bears on a tropical island. Definitely my new favorite TV show.

Quandry Wine by Trefethen - Not that I know a lot about wine (I've been to Napa a handful of times now, so I'm really only at the novice level. I can really only tell you what I like and don't like), but this wine is delicious. I'm not sure where you can buy this besides at the winery or the website, but for lovers of sweet, crisp, light white wine this is a must. Better than Reisling as it doesn't taste as sugary, it's my go-to when I want to crack open a bottle for dinner or just to relax. I've gotten several bottles so far and will probably buy more until it is sold out (it's a limited edition vintage). Then I'll go back to Trefethen to find a new favorite, as I've never had something I didn't like there.

Charlie
- How could I not include this little guy on the list? Granted it took me months to house train him, he has chewed tons of my stuff including a brand new Blackberry, and made the cats lives hell for awhile, but he eventually won us all over. Loyal, loving, and attached at my hip he may be the only dog I will ever truly love. I call him cat dog because he loves to sleep and his temperament matches Lulu's; I think he thinks he's really a cat (even though the real cats know better). He's definitely an integral part of the farm and provides everyone with hours of entertainment and affection. We've had our bumps in the road, but at this point I'm not sure what I would do without him...maybe have cleaner carpets?

Friends - Ok, so I know I said this on Thanksgiving, but really, 2011 will go down as the year of the friends for me. Last winter I made my goal for the quarter to make some friends and be a more social person. I started going out to anything and everything the kids in my class put together and in the process met some awesome people and have found a ton of best friends. We do things like:


Go bowling wearing dumb tshirts.


Celebgrate my birthday 80s style.


Get wasted in Vegas 6 hours after we're done with finals.


Buy my brother shots for his 21st birthday.


Pretend we're an episode of the Jersey Shore.


Put up with each other when we're cranky, smelly, and gross after walking around during 90 degree weather. These two put up with me for a lot of other reasons too, they're definitely my favs.


2011 was pretty good, but I'm sure 2012 will be even better!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love what you said about Adelle. She's breathtaking, and you're right--she has renewed faith that there is still real talent out there.

Thank goodness for good friends. So glad they have been there for you.

Happy New Year, Lila!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...