Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Another update on the farm

Now that Charlie has been home for almost three weeks, I figured I would give you another (more positive update) about our progress integrating him with the cats and in life in general.

Long story short, Lulu has come a really long way. About a day after my last post she started being much more tolerant of Charlie. She is still not thrilled when he licks her face, but we caught her rubbing up against him once and will not run away if he lies down near her. The two of them are now sleeping on the bed with us every night (usually Lulu is with Nick and Charlie is with me (he's essentially taken Batman's place which has Batman extremely pissed)). She has started to play with her toys again and even drops them in front of Charlie too as if to say "you wanna play?" But he's not allowed to because he tries to eat them. Plastic mousies and feathers? Not what I want to deal with right now.

Lulu has even become much more loving to us. She always was my little shadow, but lately she's been sleeping on my pillow when I sit on the bed with my laptop or she has slept in between us near our shoulders instead of our feet. Considering how scared she was of Charlie, I'm shocked at how fast she became okay with him and how she has passed Batman by leaps and bounds in terms of tolerance.



Batman on the other hand spends most of his time sleeping in Nick's closet or staring out the back door. He and Lulu have started playing with each other again, but I'm not sure if they've been cuddling or not. We take Charlie out a lot to give them space (also to get Charlie socialized), so obviously I don't know what goes on when I'm not there, but I know I don't come upstairs anymore to find them doing this:



I wonder if Batman is not only jealous and angry that Charlie is stealing attention (and always wants to sniff him whenever he comes out), but is he also upset because Charlie seems to be stealing his lady friend?

Charlie himself is doing much better in the house too. He still has accidents, but we've managed to go days without them, or only have 1 a day instead of 2. We learned some tips from his trainer about how to prevent them, although we haven't really figured out how to tell when he needs to go. All the tell tale signs we read about describes his basic everyday behavior, so it doesn't help. Right now we just try to keep him in the room with us and not go near the front door unless we're definitely taking him out.

He's also getting better around people and other dogs. Still barking, but he's been warming up faster, remembering who his friends are, and has been soooooo much better with other dogs. If the dog is aggressive or gives off a scary vibe he still gets upset, but he'll at least approach most dogs now instead of being scared of everything that's not us.

So we're making progress, which is making me happy. The last thing I need is to be stressed out over this little guy:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...